Art & the Cosmic Connection
Elements of Art Inspire Planetary Image Analysis
Art & the Cosmic Connection is an interdisciplinary program developed by scientists, artists & educators to encourage learners to explore the mysterious worlds in our solar system and their geologic stories. The planets, moons and small bodies of our solar system are places of wonder and intrigue. NASA spacecraft are visiting these fascinating places, capturing images of otherworldly features that just beg to be explored! What do these captivating images tell us? In just a short time, with the tools provided in this program, learners of all ages can begin to understand and interpret the features on distant objects in our solar system.
Art & the Cosmic Connection is designed to engage students in space science education by becoming artist explorers. Using the elements of art – line, color, texture, shape, and value – students learn to analyze the mysterious surfaces of our rocky celestial neighbors - planets, moons, comets and asteroids – as well as our beautiful Earth. Fusing art and science education inspires students to explore both disciplines. Students create art inspired by planetary images, and their understanding of planet surfaces deepens when observing them through an artist’s lens.
The program includes:
• Educator Guide that is standards aligned and explains how to teach the activity
• PowerPoint Presentation uses beautiful NASA images to illustrate the concepts
• Presentation Notes is the PowerPoint Presentation in .pdf format for printing and using as you go through the slides
• Space and Earth Images for printing for the pastel art activity where students draw their own interpretation of an image
The program is scalable for grades K through college and is adaptable for formal and informal education programs. Art & the Cosmic Connection can enhance Earth science curriculum or have a specific focus such as Mars(see below) or moons. Feel free to modify the PowerPoint presentation to meet your needs.
The Mars Edition focuses on the Red Planet. The PowerPoint Presentation includes all the concepts in the original and some of the same images to illustrate them, but most are fascinating and beautiful images Mars.
• Mars PowerPoint Presentation uses beautiful NASA images to illustrate the concepts with a focus on the Red Planet
• Mars Presentation Notes is the PowerPoint Presentation in PDF format for printing and using as you go through the slides
• Mars Images for printing for the pastel art activity where students draw their own interpretation of an image
Student Art Gallery
Art & the Cosmic Connection inspires people of all ages to make beautiful art while learning more about the solar system. Nearly 100 students at the Denver School of the Arts participated in a NASA workshop in early 2013 that introduced them to Art & the Cosmic Connection. The drawings on the poster were created by some of these students.